If you’re new around here, you may not know I have chosen a word to reflect on and allow God to use it to shape me each year. I’ve been doing this since 2010 and each year, God lays on my heart a word that will help transform my faith. 2018 was a year of Strength. We are not quite at year’s end, but I look forward to the reflection of the year and dreaming of the year to come. The Lord has slowly revealed to me what 2019 will bring. 2019 will be the year of Overcomer.
How Strength Grew my Faith : Lessons Learned in 2018
2018 proved to be full of unexpected twists and turns, diagnoses and detours. It’s no surprise that Strength was my word of the year. It revealed its purpose more and more as the year went on. God was growing me and stretching me as I persevered through many obstacles in my path. He was faithful in giving me the strength needed when I needed it. My faith flourished in the midst of adversity, pain, and disappointment.
- Physically, I gained much strength as the year progressed. I was able to find the right team of doctors who are helping me fight Hashimoto’s along with other complications from my Breast Implant Illness.
- Mentally, as the brain fog started to clear up, I was able to focus on my writing and serving my community here in a productive way. My creativity was renewed and it felt good to get back to my craft.
- Emotionally, I grew a lot in my relationships. God was so good in pruning relationships that needed it and giving me the strength to set and enforce good boundaries for my health and well being. He also brought wise people into my life when I needed it to help support me.
- Spiritually, my faith grew as I leaned on God as my strength. We faced many challenges this year with our children in various capacities. God is so good. He brought the right people into the situations to help us navigate difficult roads and the support we needed to keep going. He anticipated our needs and blessed us immensely.
The many adversities I faced this year personally only brought me closer to God and grew my faith.
Some verses on Strength that encouraged me throughout the year [NIV]:
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. (Isaiah 40:29)
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. (Ephesians 6:10)
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. (Proverbs 31:25)
Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God. (Romans 4:20)
Becoming an Overcomer: Goals for 2019
Overcomer: a person who overcomes something : one who succeeds in dealing with or gaining control of some problem or difficultyDefinition from Merriam-Webster : Overcomer
I look forward to Overcoming:
- the autoimmune illness trying to take me down. While I’m content with my ‘new normal’, I also hope for the day of renewed energy.
- the hard trial the enemy is using to attack me. Get behind me Satan. God is on my side.
- the desire to hold tight to my children as they get older. My hope is to learn the art of loosing the grip and handing over more and more responsibility to them as each year passes. The transition in 2018 of our last child from homeschooling to traditional school was a step in that direction of letting them become more independent in their education. In 2019, we will have one child heading off to college, a new driver in the house, and a new high schooler. We’ve enjoyed seeing our oldest become an independent young man with a full time job and look forward to what this year will look like for him. Our youngest at 7, still needs a lot of care, but he reminds me everyday of just how much he is capable and how I still need to balance mentoring and discipling versus just doing for him.
- the obstacles that are holding me back in my craft. I am determined to learn more about the technology, marketing, and accounting side of running a small business as an author. I’ve been on a steep learning curve the past several years and I spend a lot of time each week taking classes, listening to podcasts, and in community with other writers in order to progress.
Inspirational verses to be an Overcomer:
They will fight against you but will not overcome you, “for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 1:19)
I will make you a wall to this people, a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you to rescue and save you,” declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 15:20)
I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. (Luke 10:19)
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21)
…for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. (I John 5:4)
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. (I John 5:5)
As we close out one year, we reflect on the lessons learned and wait in hopeful anticipation of the year to come. I look forward to hearing how God is using your trials and circumstances to grow your faith. Do you have a One Word for the year? If not, here is some inspiration from previous years.
My One Word:
- 2010: SIMPLIFY
- 2011: TRUST
- 2012: DISCERN
- 2013: INTENTIONAL
- 2014: LISTEN
- 2015: FOCUS
- 2016: LIVE
- 2017: REST
- 2018: STRENGTH
I’d love for you to share your revelations from the past year and your goals and aspirations for 2019.